The American Old West: How Hollywood Made It “Wild” to Make Money & Advance Gun Control
In this week’s episode of the Resistance Library podcast, Brian speaks with Ammo.com’s Sam Jacobs about the American Old West. Learn more about the Old West at Ammo.com: https://ammo.com/articles/amer....ican-old-west-hollyw
For $20 off your $200 purchase, go to https://ammo.com/podcast (a special deal for our listeners).
Follow Sam Jacobs on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamJacobs45
And check out our sponsor, Libertas Bella, for all of your favorite 2nd amendment shirts at https://libertasbella.com/
Hollywood has a clever way of distorting our perspective on history, and a great example of this is Western film – a movie genre we've all come to love. Cattle rustlers, guns blazing, outlaws running loose, and vigilantes dishing out vengeance indiscriminately. These scenes have become more synonymous with the American Frontier than Winchester and their "Cartridge That Won the West." But these fictional tales have produced more than entertainment for over a century; they've also contributed to an ongoing, subtle push for gun control, all while making Hollywood millions.
Revisionist history books tell us that the “Wild West” was an anarchic period of time that was not conducive to human prosperity. Images of a Hobbesian nightmare – a life that is brutish and short – are ingrained in our consciousness thanks to decades of public schooling and violent images on the silver screen which are light on actual history and heavy on creative license.
However, individuals who believe in liberty and developing their critical thinking faculties should be skeptical of most mainstream narratives regarding history, especially American history. After all, these narratives by and large have been created by Hollywood, a legacy institution that has historically advanced politically correct content with the support of Washington in order to perpetuate the cultural status quo.
When the curtain of political correctness that's been draped over this particular period of history is pulled back, we see a much more nuanced picture of the American Frontier. In fact, research by historians such as Peter J. Hill, Richard Shenkman, Roger D. McGrath, Terry Anderson, and W. Eugene Holland shows that this period was rather indicative of a “not so wild, Wild West.”
Check out our full Resistance Library by visiting us at Ammo.com. Follow us on social media. And most importantly, be sure to subscribe to our channel right here on YouTube for more high-quality videos to help you stay armed, both physically and philosophically.
- The American Old West: How Hollywood Made It “Wild” to Make Money & Advance Gun Control: https://ammo.com/articles/amer....ican-old-west-hollyw
- History of 44-40 Winchester Ammo "The Cartridge That Won the West": https://ammo.com/rifle/44-40-w....in-ammo#caliber-hist
- History of Winchester Ammo: https://ammo.com/brands/winche....ster-ammo#brand-hist
- The Supreme Court and the Second Amendment: Understanding the Court's Landmark Decisions: https://ammo.com/articles/seco....nd-amendment-supreme
- Critical Thinking Quotes: Quotes on the Importance of Developing the Ability to Think Critically: https://ammo.com/articles/critical-thinking-quotes
- The Resistance Library: https://ammo.com/articles
- Brian Miller: https://ammo.com/our-team#brian-miller
- Sam Jacobs: https://ammo.com/our-team#sam-jacobs